New here? Be sure to sign up for our newsletter to receive weekly updates on local events, training tips, and a dose of motivation. From time to time we use affiliate links in our content and may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in our posts.
Finding your motivation to exercise is one of the biggest hurdles to overcome when beginning an exercise routine. Starting your work out is the hard part. Once you set yourself in motion, staying in motion becomes easier and even motivating. Start your exercise routine today using these excuse-busting tips from our panel of expert contributors.
Eliminate Your Hurdles
Don’t go into exercising gung ho, looking only at why you think you want to exercise, but also examine the reasons you don’t. In clinical terms, you might call this your desire to exercise versus your fears (or why you don’t want to). Maybe you don’t want to think about the time commitment or how you’ll look in your gym clothes, so you push these thoughts out of your mind. However, these are the exact issues which will surface later to cause you to slack off. Resolve your inner conflicts about exercise BEFORE starting and you’ll sustain motivation.
5 Steps to Stay Motivated
- Write down your goals- without goals, what are you working towards?
- Assess your fitness levels; find out what you have to work with and set realistic goals.
- 3Get a workout buddy/spouse/friend: find someone else to hold you accountable, you will be motivated to keep your workout plans in place.
- Pull out old photos or find new ones in a magazine. With a picture of what you will look like, you will be motivated to keep going on your fitness quest.
- Put down some money and join a gym, class, or hire a personal trainer. When you’ve committed some bucks, you are more likely to keep going.
Get more stuff like this
Receive running tips and a dose of motivation right to your inbox! We'll send you a weekly email filled with tips, tools, gear, & encouragement.
You're almost done! Please check your inbox to confirm your subscription.
Something went wrong.